[Invasive-species] Worst invasive species threatening biodiversity in Europe

BRANQUART Etienne E.Branquart at mrw.wallonie.be
Thu Feb 9 16:06:26 CET 2006

Invasive Alien SpeciesDear forum members,

Please find hereafter a draft list of the worst invasive species in Europe I received from Catherine Debruyne. This list was prepared by the SEBI 2010 Expert Group on IAS (see http://biodiversity-chm.eea.eu.int/information/indicator/F1090245995/F1115192484). The main criterion used to identify the worst IAS is that they seriously impact biodiversity in Europe through e.g. altering native ecosystem function or through replacing or hybridizing with native species. In addition, several of them have negative consequences for human activities, health and/or economic interests, i.e. are pests, pathogens or vectors of diseases.

It is interesting to see that the SEBI 2010 expert group uses similar criteria as those proposed for the Belgian black list and that both lists are very similar. I do not think that it means that our work is useless as they are applicable at different scales. For example, some species included into the European list cannot develop populations under climatic conditions in Belgium. Conversely, other species that make a threat to Belgian biodiversity have only a low impact at European scale.

I think that this list is certainly a valuable tool to fill the gaps and refine the work to prepare Belgian black and watch lists. Note that to avoid having a very long list including all the pest species for agriculture and sylviculture, they decided to exclude IAS that threaten economic interests but not biodiversity. Probably a good idea for us as well...

I'll make use of this list and of your contributions to propose a new draft version of Belgian black and watch lists in a near future. Note that the forum can eventually make some suggestions to the European expert group for inclusion of new species before the end of the month.

Best regards,

Etienne