[Invasive-species] mailing list administration + naturalization

BRANQUART Etienne E.Branquart at mrw.wallonie.be
Tue Feb 14 09:49:06 CET 2006

Dear forum members,

As you probably noticed, some messages were sent out on the list while they were only intended for message sender (as I did yesterday !). To avoid similar problems in the future, I modified the options of the mailing list. Since now, when using the 'reply to' function, the message will be only addressed to the sender and you will have to change it to 'invasive-species at biodiversity.be' to distribute it to the list. A good stuff for inattentive people ;-)

Regarding the problem of naturalization, I agree with Roger that the term should be clearly defined in the document. I propose to refer to the review paper of Richardson et al. (2000) I attached to this message, that can be considered as a valuable reference to clarify and standardise definitions. After this paper, naturalization is not a synonym for 'invasive'. It starts when abiotic and biotic barriers to survival are surmounted and when various barriers to regular reproduction are overcome; at this stage, populations are sufficiently large that the probability of extinction due to environmental stochasticity is low but do not necessarily spread in the environment. It means that naturalization is a preliminary step before a species really becomes invasive.

I hope that we can agree on this definition for future developments of the forum. Best regards,

Etienne

PS: Any other suggestion, addition, etc. on the new version of the black and watch list is of course welcome... even if the document circulated a little bit earlier than decided ! Note that this new version of the list is a result of a brainstorming we had with different representatives of the INPLANBEL research project.

Dr.  Etienne Branquart
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (SPO)

Ministere de la Region wallonne
Centre de Recherche de la Nature, des Forets et du Bois (DGRNE)
Avenue Marechal Juin, 23
B-5030 Gembloux- Belgium

Tel :   + 32 (0)81 620 420
Fax :  + 32 (0)81 620 436
E-mail : E.Branquart at mrw.wallonie.be

Ce message n'engage aucunement la DGRNE et reste informel.  Tout courrier
officiel doit toujours actuellement être confirmé par lettre et revêtu de la
signature d'un agent dûment mandaté