[Invasive-species] New webpages for the Belgian Forum on Inva sive Species

Leo Vanhecke leo.vanhecke at br.fgov.be
Thu Jan 12 10:14:01 CET 2006

Dear friends,

About the remarks of Ton on the list of invasive higher plants in
Belgium I would like to answer that the short list for Belgium is a
deliberate choice. There excists allready a full list of naturalized
phanerogamic species for Flanders (Verloove 2002). Within few monts a
full list of all adventive and naturalized species for Belgium will be
published by the same author (Inplanbel-project). Every species on both
lists is fully commented (frequency, origin, trend,...). Several
thousands of species are incorporated on the list. However, whether or
not to call an alien species also a invasive species is to some degree a
matter of choice. Many really invasive species are not considered
harmful or as a nuissance a so they do not figure on those lists. What I
mean is, that it is not the number of species present on the invasive
species lists that defines the quality of that list.

Best wishes,
Leo Vanhecke

--
Dr. Leo Vanhecke

National Botanic Garden of Belgium (BR)
Dept. of vascular plants

Domein van Bouchout, B-1860 Meise, Belgium

Phone:	general: 	+32 (0)2 269 39 05
	direct line: 	+32 (0)2 260 09 60
Fax: 			+32 (0)2 270 15 67
e-mail: leo.vanhecke at BR.fgov.be