[ES] (Save the date) May 15th AM: Belgian IPBES Workshop on Review of the Global Assessment

Jorge L. Ventocilla ventocilla at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:24:07 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

The end of this month will mark the start of the external review of the IPBES <http://www.ipbes.net/> global assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services, more specifically the Second Order Drafts of the technical chapters as well as the First Order Draft of the Summary for Policymakers.

This assessment will be the first global snapshot of the state of the world’s biodiversity in more than a decade, since the release of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. The global assessment will provide decision makers with the state of knowledge regarding the planet's biodiversity, ecosystems and their contributions to people, as well as the options to protect and use these natural assets more sustainably. Furthermore, the global assessment will provide vital data to assess progress against the Aichi Biodiversity Targets and the Sustainable Development Goals.

 As these are the last versions that governments will see, before it goes to the next Plenary (May 2019), it is our last chance to review. Our discussion on the review of the Global Assessment will also feed into two meetings that will take place early June including the 5th Pan-European Stakeholder Consultation <https://naturalsciences.ch/service/events/100845-5th-pan-european-stakeholder-consultation-for-ipbes-pesc-5-> (6-7 June, Bern).

 In order to draft a "coordinated" Belgian response, the Belgian Biodiversity Platform <http://www.biodiversity.be/> (hosting the IPBES National Focal Point <http://www.biodiversity.be/ipbe>) would like to organize a half day workshop on May 15th to gather your comments. In order to identify your interest/availability on that day, I would be thankful if you could complete the doodle form at https://doodle.com/poll/pvrdsye4pps3qxwp <https://doodle.com/poll/pvrdsye4pps3qxwp> by no later than April 30th.

 After April 30th, an email will follow with instructions about how to register as an expert reviewer at the IPBES website, which will give you access to the relevant documentation.

 Thanking you in advance for your consideration, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

 Sincerely,

Jorge