[Gbif-europe] Fwd: RE: COST action proposal from EU nodes

archambeau archambeau at gbif.fr
Wed Apr 20 15:02:11 CEST 2016

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: RE: COST action proposal from EU nodes
 Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 23:54:16 +0000
 From: Mark J Costello <m.costello at auckland.ac.nz>
 To: Anne-Sophie Archambeau <archambeau at gbif.fr>,
 "Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk" <Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk>,
 "anders.finstad at ntnu.no" <anders.finstad at ntnu.no>, Philippe Grandcolas
 <pg at mnhn.fr>, "Dmitry Schigel [GBIF]" <dschigel at gbif.org>

 Dear Anne-Sophie

 Having read the documents I think the reviews are fair. There have been
 many past EU funded networks on aspects of this previously.

 I wonder should the focus be better on developing novel semi-automated
 outputs that build on a standardised international biodiversity data
 infrastructure (= GBIF) such as

 - National species inventories classified by environment (freshwater,
 terrestrial, marine) and date of observation (e.g. extinct? Invasive?
 Phenology?)

 - CBD Aichi Targets

 - Regional trends in changes in species distribution (gains, losses)

 - Addressing sampling bias

 Of course sampling bias will be an issue and compromise some results
 but
 this could be a goal to address, and the conclusion may be that we do
 not know key facts because of lack of sampling or reporting of data.
 That is the data gaps are a result and not a reason not to progress
 with
 the data. Highlighting such gaps may help prioritise new sampling
 and/or
 data publication.

 Best wishes

 Mark

 FROM: Anne-Sophie Archambeau [mailto:archambeau at gbif.fr]
  SENT: Thursday, 14 April 2016 12:40 a.m.
  TO: Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk; Mark J Costello;
 anders.finstad at ntnu.no; Philippe Grandcolas; Dmitry Schigel [GBIF]
  SUBJECT: COST action proposal from EU nodes

 Dear members of the Science committee and Dmitry,

  Last year, most of the European nodes joined together to submit a COST
 Action Proposal called: " Integrating the integrations for biodiversity
 information in Europe" (OC-2015-2-20203). Please look at the documents
 attached.

  Unfortunatly, it turned down. However, the evaluation report provided
 useful feedback to prepare a better proposal, including the fact that
 it
 should be a little bit more research oriented. So we would like to try
 again and prepare a new version. That's why I contact you because we
 would be pleased to have your advices on this and what could be done on
 this aspect. (example: links to the task goups...)

  We will talk about it next week during our EU nodes meeting in Lisbon.
 Looking at the COST calendar, the first 2016 COST Collection Date has
 been postponed to 25 April 2016 at 17:00 (CET) but it will be too soon
 for us, so the idea is to submit something to the second call of 2016
 and this time, with more preparation in advance.

  In order to report to my collegues next week, I will be interesting in
 knowing if you think that as SC and science liaison officer, you could
 help us on that.

  Many thanks for considering my request.

  Best wishes,
  Anne-Sophie Archambeau