[Invasive-species] Black and watch lists of invasive species inBelgium

BRANQUART Etienne E.Branquart at mrw.wallonie.be
Tue Feb 7 17:29:13 CET 2006

Dear colleagues,

I received several e-mails related to the inclusion or the exclusion of bird species in the black list/category A (e.g.  Alopochen aegyptiacus, Branta canadensis and Pisttacula spp.). Olivier Beck (IBGE-BIM) and Anne Weiserbs (AVES) suggest to include them in the list, mainly on the basis of the precautionary approach. One problem I see is that we do not have serious arguments to demonstrate that they are really detrimental to the environment, at least in the Brussels region (except noise and droppings). On the other hand, I know by Anny Anselin (INBO) that eradication of Branta candensis already started in Flanders...

My position is as follows : if detrimental impact is proved > category A, if detrimental impact is only supposed > category B. That's why I would like to know if you are aware of scientific studies showing any detrimental impact of those bird species in Belgium or in neighbour areas. Thanks a lot in advance,

Etienne