[Invasive-species] Black and watch lists of invasive speciesinBelgium

VAN LANDUYT, Wouter wouter.vanlanduyt at inbo.be
Tue Feb 7 18:36:12 CET 2006

Dear Etienne,

if one bird species has a severe impact on vegetation in marshland it will be Branta canadensis. The Damvallei (Heusden, East-Flanders) was one of the nature reserves where the species appeared first in Flanders. Nowadays species-rich Calthions (among the best in Flanders) have turn into mud-flats and most of the watervegetation (among Stratiotes vegetations) completely disappaered due to grazing and eutrofication, Perhaps there are no scientific studies to document this but the evidence is clear. On the places with the highest density of Branta canadensis there is simply no more vegetation. The rich vegetation before is very good documented in several publication.

Wouter Van Landuyt