[Invasive-species] New webpages for the Belgian Forum on Inva sive Species

Ton van Haaren ton.vanhaaren at aquasense.nl
Wed Jan 11 10:36:31 CET 2006

Dear Etienne
I have seen the invasive species list of Belgium and I do think that the
list is somewhat short. Although I do not have any idea how many species and
which species really do occur in Belgium, but there are some errors made in
that list. As a member of the Dutch version of invasive species forum, I'm
responsible for the invertebrate list of the invasive species in The
Netherland presented on www.wew.nu\exoten <http://www.wew.nu\exoten> . While
verifying the Dutch list with the Belgian list there are some differences of
which I mention some below. Also the list of freshwater species of the
higher plants must be longer than this (5 species!). in The Netherland there
are about 30 species recorded.

1.

	the absence of Corbicula fluminalis strikes me. It has been
introduced in The Netherlands in 1988.
2.

	Dreissena polymorpha most likely originates from the Ponto-Caspian
area
3.

	Mytilopsis leucophaeta is a species that originates from N-America
or NW-Africa. The first European record is from 1835 from the harbour of
Antwerpen. The original distribution area is the Gulf of Mexico and adjacent
Atlantic Ocean.
4.

	Astacus leptodactylus originates form Eastern Europe
5.

	Chelicorophium curvispinum, Dikerogammarus villosus and D.
hamobaphes originate from the Ponto-Caspian area.
6.

	Dikerogammarus haemobaphes in Belgium seems unlikely, the nearest
record in western Europe seems to be some few records in Germany. Recent
claims from this species in the Nertherlands were all female or specimens
with an artefact.
7.

	Orchestia cavimana originate from southern Europe
8.

	the North-American Gammarus tigrinus is quit common in The
Netherlands since 1960. It seems likely that this species also occurs in
Belgium.
9.

	the absence of both Hemimysis anomala and Limnomysis benedeni seems
peculiar. The last species is extremely common throughout The Netherlands
since it was introduced in 1997.
10.

	the absence of Atyaephyra desmaresti (a meditterenean species). This
species has been collected in Belgium for the first time in 1886.
11.

	the oligochaet Quistadrilus multisetosis also occurs in Belgium and
originates from North-America. This species had probably been introduced (at
least in The Netherland) around 1980.
12.

	the mosquitoe Aedes albopictus also occurs in Belgium as an invasive
species from North-America or Asia. There is a record from 2003 from
Antwerpen. Although I understand this species is deliberately omitted from
the list, for it's a vector of a human disease.
13.

	the beetle Stenopelmus rufinasus is a north-American species that
has been introduced in France at the beginning of the 20th century. Between
1915-1922 the beetle arrived in The Netherlands and is now extremely common
on and between Azolla.
14.

	the fish Ctenopharyngidon idellus originates (Dutch specimens) from
china
15.

	Hypophthalmichthys molitrix originates from Russia or China

Note that this is just a short list of Dutch species, and that the origin or
introduction year maybe different in Belgium. You may check our list on
www.wew.nu\exoten <http://www.wew.nu\exoten> .

Best wishes
Ton van Haaren
Grontmij|AquaSense