[Invasive-species] Fwd: Questionnaire: Towards an early warning and information system for invasive alien species threatening biodiversity in Europe

Anne Franklin Anne.Franklin at naturalsciences.be
Fri Oct 10 11:38:40 CEST 2008

For your information.
Best regards,

Anne Franklin

>Subject: Questionnaire: Towards an early warning
>and information system for invasive alien
>species threatening biodiversity in Europe
>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:08:38 +0200
>From: Tor-Björn Larsson <Tor-Bjorn.Larsson at eea.europa.eu>
>To: <eionet-nrc-nature at roles.eea.eionet.europa.eu>
>Cc: <eionet-nfp at roles.eea.eionet.europa.eu>,
>         Ivone Pereira Martins <Ivone.PereiraMartins at eea.europa.eu>,
>         Joanna Karlsen <Joanna.Karlsen at eea.europa.eu>,
>         Piero Genovesi <piero.genovesi at infs.it>
>
>To the EIONET Primary Contact Points and
>National Reference Centres for Nature Protection and Biodiversity:
>
>Towards an early warning and information system
>for invasive alien species threatening biodiversity in Europe
>
>Invasive alien species are a major and
>increasing threat to European biodiversity,
>habitats, and economy. In line with the EU
>Biodiversity Communication 2006 an early warning
>system is needed to improve the ability of
>European states and institutions to respond to
>the threats posed by invasive alien species to
>biodiversity. Under a contract with the European
>Environment Agency (EEA) a feasibility study is
>carried out which includes a survey aiming at:
>-          assessing the existing information
>and mechanisms for risk assessment to respond to
>new arrivals of unwanted alien species which may
>threaten biodiversity and impact ecosystems, and
>-          identifying the main limits and
>constraints to rapid and effective action.
>
>For this a survey is carried out which can be found at:
><http://biodiversity-chm.eea.europa.eu/information/towards-early-warning-and-information-system>http://biodiversity-chm.eea.europa.eu/information/towards-early-warning-and-information-system
>
>We encourage you all to contribute to this
>survey and/or forward information to relevant
>experts and organisations in your country.  The
>questionnaire is rather short and simple, and
>could be completed online in about 15 minutes.
>
>Deadline for responding is 31 October.
>
>Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>Kind regards
>
>Tor-Bjorn Larsson

>Tor-Bjorn Larsson
>Project manager forest and biodiversity
>European Environment Agency
>Tel +45 3336 7120
>E-mail Tor-Bjorn.Larsson at eea.europa.eu
>
>P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Dr Anne Franklin
Promoter - Belgian National Focal Point to the
Convention on Biological Diversity
Coordinator - Capacity building for biodiversity
(a Belgian Development Cooperation programme)
Coordinator - Programme of activities for the
International Biodiversity Year (2010)
Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
Invertebrates Department
Rue Vautier 29
1000 Brussels - Belgium
Tel : +32-2-627.45.87