[Belgianbif] 25th GBIF Governing Board

Belgian GBIF Contact Group belgianbif at biodiversity.be
Thu Oct 11 16:11:13 CEST 2018

Dear André

I would like here to second Jurate`s statement.
By provoding data on African and Brazilian fauna and flora already back in 2003 with the Enbi.project,  Belgium has been instrumental in not keeping this information locked.
Much more data has followed since.
Recently the data from the 1.2 mio scanned herbarium.sheets including the african part has been made available to Gbif.
By 2020 it is the plan to add Latin America and South East Asia.

We thus look very forward to collaborate on this with Gbif.

Currently a check list with local common names of the flora of central Africa has been provided and is tested for search and display at gbif. This is an important step to improve access and discoverability of the content by non eu users.

I wish you a fruitful meeting and looking forward to hear about the outcomes

Pat