[ECA] Planning for PESC-4

Estelle BALIAN estelle.balian at naturalsciences.be
Mon Apr 3 15:32:59 CEST 2017

Dear Agnès

Thanks a lot for sharing the concept note and for all the preparatory work
of this challenging endeavor!!

We discussed with Hilde and Angélique, and we wanted to highlight some key
aspects/issues that should maybe be further discussed by the organizers and
the IPBES Secretariat:

*1- regarding the participation of the NFPs* and the fact that no other
opportunity will be given to governments to discuss the documents (i.e. no
separate regional consultation as originally scheduled for July):

Most governments/NFPs are not aware that this will be the "main
consultation" and might not register or be prepared on time for the PESC-4.
As you said this is more IPBES Secretariat's responsibility but this might
also create high expectations on the PESC meeting that will be tough to
meet. The fact that the registration for PESC-4 is already closed
(correct?) may add to this problem.

*2- Review comments and documents*
In the best case scenario, you might have one out of 10 delegates who will
have screened through the chapters and maybe 2 who will have read the SPM.

We think it would be maybe more efficient to have 2 different foci and
announce them in advance to participants rather than a open discussion on
all the documents:

*Focus 1: For chapters: *
Ask the authors or each chapter to highlight in their view the main
difficulties they had and what they feel is still incomplete/in need of
further work.
Participants could then focus only on these questions to help try to
address them.

Avoid tedious line by line comments during the meeting. If some people are
very motivated, they should do it online in the review system.

*Focus 2:* Have a clear focus on the SPM (maybe even give some time at the
beginning of the groups to read it) but with targeted questions like:
1- How do you assess the overall quality of the SPM/policy recommendations
hererin/ confidence level etc.?
2- Then work with the "star" working method
What should be deleted?
What should be kept as it is?
What should be increased?
What should be reduced?
What new elements should be added?

Overall, we are concerned about the help/guidance that is supposed to be
provided by the IPBES Secretariat - knowing they are under strong pressure
already + they have to simultaneously deal with the other regional
assessments that are likely of lower quality. Therefore, we feel we have to
anticipate and come up with a solid proposal ourselves.

We hope this will help the further development of the working sessions. We
are happy to support the facilitation of working groups if needed.

Best regards
Estelle, Hilde and Angelique