[Gbif-europe] CESP idea: EU reporting on Biodiversity

Dag Endresen dag.endresen at nhm.uio.no
Wed Jan 18 10:59:20 CET 2017

Hi Andre,

Your proposal touch on issues that have been on my mind as well.

In my view the landscape of EU reporting requirements have some similarities with the reporting requirements in thematic communities such as the plant genetic resources community, that might be informative here.

Each genebank institute face multiple reporting requirements to different international information systems (FAO, Genesys, EURISCO, CWR Atlas etc) - and each international information system expects different reporting formats. In addition each international information system need to spend substantial resources to integrate information from a diverse landscape of genebank institutions.

The agrobiodiversity community has already explored some pilot studies to integrate GBIF data flow pathways. See as example the report from the GBIF Agrobiodiversity task group [1] and my slides from the European genebank ICT meeting in 2014 [2]:

[1] http://www.gbif.org/resource/82283
[2] http://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.10865.28006

It is a good idea to prepare a GBIF mentoring proposal where a group of (European) Nodes mentor each other based on experiences with EU reporting - and report back to the Nodes committee. GBIF Norway would be interested to join such an activity.

Best wishes
Dag

Dag Endresen, Ph.D.
Node manager, GBIF Norway