[Gbif-europe] CESP idea: EU reporting on Biodiversity

Liam Lysaght llysaght at biodiversityireland.ie
Thu Jan 19 17:32:27 CET 2017

Dear Andre and colleagues,
I think your idea for 2017 has great merit. There must surely be greater opportunities for the Nodes of EU countries to contribute to EU reporting. My only observation is, I wonder might an inventory of the three policy instruments you mention (Birds/Habitats Directive, Water Framework Directive and IAS Regulations) be too big a task (initially at least)?
Also, because there has already been reporting cycles for the the Birds/Habitats Directive and Water Framework Directives, reporting process are probably well established within existing statutory bodied.  However, as the IAS Regulation is a new instrument, the reporting processes are still being worked on in each Member State, and this includes links with GBIF, I wonder would it be sufficient and/or productive to only carry out the inventory for how the IAS Regulations are reported upon? This might result in real and immediate opportunities for improvimg reporting roles for the Nodes.

Just a thought.

Very best wishes,
Liam